Tuesday 24 September 2013

Imagine ... philosophical ponderances

Imagine a world that existed purely on happiness, a world where misery and rage were banished, confined to the fiery depths of hell. Would this really make the world a better place or are the turbulence of emotions such as anger beneficial and key to our survival?  Imagine the absence of benevolence, tears and frustration, a world where your foe became your friend, where wrongs were made right and frowns were made into smiles. A world full of happiness and peace may seem like the ideal tranquil scenario but without these stronger emotions, life would be pretty boring. Without anger we cannot purge, without tears we cannot cleanse and without frustration we cannot talk. Happiness allows us bliss but bliss can be lonely, isolation occurs leaving you unknowingly detached from society and all that you love. However anger brings you back to your senses, anger makes you fight for survival , fight for what is rightfully yours. Happiness doesn't do this, happiness is ignorant, naivety its blanket of deceit. Therefore whilst emotions such as anger, are true to the core , happiness can be deceitful, a masquerade in disguise.

Now my fellow bloggers you may find this blog rather radical, for anyone who reads it will perceive me to be a pessimist, when in actuality I am the complete opposite. I am a happy individual who strives to be friends with the whole world ( Physically impossible I know but a goal that I have set in my sights). Yet as an inquisitive person , I question anything and everything. I thought to myself , Imagine a world set upside down, a world void of emotions except happiness. Would this really be an ideal world or do we need a balance of good and bad emotions? Although I am not a philosopher ( my degree is Education and Social Science and English), I often ponder about the bigger questions in life. Does god exist or does Science answer all? Which leads to a further question, a question rooted in religion. God decreed that Adam and Eve (the first man and woman) would live in the tranquillity of the Garden of Eden. The Garden of Eden conjures up images of lush green vegetation, bursting with colourful flowers and swarms of honey bees. I walk into the paradise, blissfully at ease unaware of strife or anger, consumed purely by happiness. Its a few days now that I have been here and I grow restless, nothing happens, nothing goes on , just the gentle humming of bees, that begins to irritate me. I am Eve and I am beginning to explore, I become animalistic in my pursuit of adventure and soon bump into the 'wicked snake'. I do not need to tell the story further for we all know how it ends, Eve (or I as a woman) becomes tempted by the forbidden fruit and in turn tempts Adam, which leads to being kicked out of heaven and on to Earth we go. Therefore the moral of this story is if Adam and Eve did not give into temptation then we would have been living in a world of fluffy bunnies and everlasting peace. Yawn, stop boring me already , the moral of this story is not to condemn Adam and Eve but to congratulate them on their radical spirit , to praise them for giving us a world that although  may be corrupted by war and strife, is a world that is dynamic and never ever boring.... What I am trying to argue is that we lived in a world of tranquillity and peace before and look what it came to , ever-lasting boredom and a yearning for something more. Although happiness may be short lived , the moments are sweet and fleetingly memorable. A beacon of hope amongst bloodshed. For in life we are scales, the good outweighs the bad and happiness overcomes sorrow.

We are all Libras at heart ( which is ironic since that is my star sign).


I hope you enjoyed my very first post and please feel free to comment!
Thank you !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment