Friday 27 June 2014

Haunted past




Epilogue

I could feel their stares behind my back, dripping with undisguised malice, their laughter poison ink dripping down my back. I clutch my fists; anger mingled with tears, salty, streaming down my face. I make my way forward, ignoring the cruel jibes; they are just words Louise, just words, nothing more nothing less. Yet I struggled to convince myself, one word a punch, a sentence a stab, a paragraph was murder. It held bittersweet memories for me, I knew where this had happened before, the past was all but a shallow barrier…Its true history does repeat itself.

I swing back to the present, and look frantically for a place to sit, the teacher looking expectantly at me, her eyebrow arched, as she waits to begin. ‘Well’ she asked her blazing green eyes boring into me, as though she was peering into my soul. I shivered and made no reply, finally settling into a seat near the front, smiling weakly at the teacher as she tsked at me. ‘Good. Now that we have that sorted let’s begin’. The lesson was blur, I zoned out as the teacher droned on about the importance of mathematics, the essentiality of numerical data in defining and shaping the world. So what I thought to myself, what is maths, when life is misery, when every waking moment is a death trap, so what?

We file out of the classroom, 1,2,3,  like soldiers, we are regimented , watched, spied upon, every wrong move- a step closer to death. But no one knows, nobody knows but the puppets that control us and … me. I know, I know because I am one of them, the chosen, the people above all others.  In my mind’s eye, I see you, I know what you do, what you have done, I’m watching you.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment